This article presents a comparison of Securly's four filtering methods: Extension, SmartPAC, SmartDNS, and GuestDNS. If you plan to implement more than one solution, it is recommended that you contact Securly Support.
Extension: Extension-Based Filtering for Chrome, Edge, and soon, Firefox.
The Securly extension supports Chrome and Edge on Windows devices, as well as Chromebooks. It can be deployed from your Google Admin Console, Group Policy, or InTune, depending on the device. This solution does not require the Securly Certificate to be installed, but it is required if you plan to use DNS filtering on the same network.
Securly DNS: Selective Proxy Filtering
This is a catch-all filtering solution. It uses DNS as a selective proxy to intercept traffic. This will work for all devices in the network. DNS filtering will not work with any other vendor’s filtering. "Double Filtering" is not a supported configuration. The certificate is required for user reporting and policy assignment. To start a trial, click here.
SmartPAC: Global Proxy Filtering
This is a SmartPAC for use on macOS, iOS, Windows, and Chrome devices on and off-site. This is a customized file made just for your school. It is hosted on Securly servers and you will be given a URL for your school's file. SmartPAC filtering will not work with other vendors filtering. "Double Filtering" is not a supported configuration. The certificate is required for user reporting and policy assignment. To learn more about how SmartPac works, click here.
|OS Supported (Managed Devices)||ChromeOS
|All Device Types||All Device Types|
|All Browsers||All Browsers||All Browsers|
|Google Chat Scanning||✓||X||X||X|
|Think Twice (Securly Aware)||✓||X||X||X|
|Wellness Widget (Securly Aware)||✓||X||X||X|
|Full Logging Capabilities||✓||X||X||X|
|Uncategorized Site Blocking||✓||X||X||X|
- Extension: Chromebook, PC, and Mac (Chrome).
- SmartPAC: PC, iPad, and Mac.
- SmartDNS: All device types.
- GuestDNS: All device types.
- Extension: Chrome, Edge, and Firefox (Beta).
- SmartPAC: All browsers.
- SmartDNS: All browsers.
- GuestDNS: All browsers.
Key features and their availability:
- Google Chat Scanning: Available only for Extension.
- User Authentication: Supported by Extension, SmartPAC, and SmartDNS, but not by GuestDNS.
- Off-Campus Filtering: Offered by Extension and SmartPAC, but not by SmartDNS or GuestDNS.
- Decryption (Requires Certificate): Supported by SmartPAC and SmartDNS, but not by Extension or GuestDNS.
- Think Twice (Securly Aware): Exclusive to Extension.
- Wellness Widget (Securly Aware): Available only for Extension.
- Full Logging Capabilities: Exclusive to Extension.
- YouTube Controls: Available only for Extension.
- Uncategorized Site Blocking: Exclusive to Extension.
Please sign in to leave a comment.