Dyknow’s Import Manager feature enables Dyknow Administrators to review errors and significant changes caused by SIS data imports to ensure school roster data remains accurate, whether the import is manual or automated.
Dyknow tracks significant changes in your Dyknow data using algorithms that define acceptable Import Thresholds for change caused by SIS data imports (as compared to schools’ existing Dyknow data). The goal of this feature is to provide protection against accuracy issues that can impact Dyknow Teachers’ ability to monitor student devices.
When an Import Threshold has been reached or exceeded, this feature
- Pauses a schools’ imports
- Notifies the designated Dyknow Administrator via email
- Generates a data summary for the Dyknow Administrator to review
This document is a resource for Dyknow Administrators to understand how to:
- Review Dyknow Import Results Email
- Identify Data Import Errors in DyKnow
- Resolve Data Import Errors
- Approve Paused Data Imports
REVIEW DYKNOW IMPORT RESULTS EMAIL
To prevent the upload of incorrect data (with changes meeting or exceeding Import Thresholds) from an import, a Dyknow Administrator must review the paused import and take action to either validate the identified changes, cancel the import, or edit and reprocess the importing data.
Follow the steps below to learn how to review the Check Data and Import Results notification emails:
1. If your SIS Data Import has been paused due to significant changes that exceed Import Thresholds, you will receive both a Check Data email and an Import Results email.
A. Check Data Email
B. Import Results Email
Note: The example above reveals that, compared to the data already existing in Dyknow, two errors have been identified in the importing Classes file (or 18% of the data in the Classes file has errored). Additionally, two errors have been identified in the importing Enrollments - Teachers file (or 18% of the data in the Enrollments - Teachers file).
2. Read through the list of change quantities and percentages in the Import Results email.
3. Take note of extreme change quantities/percentages as well as any changes that are not expected (and therefore may be inaccurate).
Note: All data import errors and unexpected changes should be resolved. Errors identified by Dyknow Import Manager will not process into Dyknow.
IDENTIFY SIS DATA IMPORT ERRORS IN DYKNOW
Follow the steps below to learn how to identify data import errors in Dyknow Import Manager:
1. Click the gear icon in the upper right-hand corner to access Dyknow Admin Settings.
2. Click the Import Manager tab.
3. Review the Check Your Data section.
Note: The Check Your Data section lists the data to be imported and quantifies any additions, updates, and errors associated with each data set.
- Schools: References your importing Schools data
- Users: References your importing Users data; can include teachers, students, and other users, depending on your SIS data
- Classes: References the unique identifier used by Dyknow to properly sync SIS class data
- Enrollments: Teachers: References your importing Enrollments data
- Enrollments: Students: References your importing Enrollments data
Data Change Options:
- Added: The number of fields added to a data set since the previous import
- Updated: The number of fields updated within a data set since the previous import
- Deleted: The number of fields deleted within a data set since the previous import
- Errored: The number of fields errored within a data set since the previous import
4. Click the Errored [View] hyperlinks for more details on the identified data import errors.
Note: An Errored pop-up window will appear, listing the Error Reasons identified in the Data Import(s) and each Error Reason’s associated Error Count.
5. Click the blue Error Count hyperlinks from the Errored pop-up window to view the list of Records for each Error Reason identified within your data.
Note: The pop-up window will expand, similar to the examples below, detailing the specific error instances.
A. Data File Import – The list of error Records for manually imported data files reflects the unique Error Reason as well as each error’s Value and Line Number location within the file.
B. Direct SIS Integration – The list of error Records for automatically imported data files reflects the unique Error Reason as well as each error’s Value and SIS Identifier.
Note: Common data import Error Reasons include:
- Email Already Exists references a User whose importing data does not match the existing Dyknow User data, except for the User's email address.
- SIS ID Used For Multiple Users references multiple Users with the same SIS ID (each SIS User ID must to be unique across all Dyknow schools).
- SIS ID Used For Multiple Classes references multiple Classes that have the same SIS ID (each SIS Class ID must be unique).
- Unexpected Column Change can reference extraneous data columns created because of an unnecessary comma included within SIS data values (e.g. “Doe,John”).
RESOLVE DYKNOW SIS DATA IMPORT ERRORS
If you did not expect the changes in your data import to exceed Import Thresholds, or if you don’t approve of the changes identified, you must resolve the errors before you can approve your importing data for processing into Dyknow.
Follow the steps below to resolve identified errors within your data import and changes that exceed pre-determined Import Thresholds:
1. From Dyknow Import Manager, take note of the identified errors.
2. Locate those errors in your SIS or importing data files, using the error Records as a guide.
3. Replace the specific errors with values that match your Import Method requirements.
4. Save your edits.
5. In Dyknow Import Manager, click the Cancel Import button.
Note: Once you click the Cancel Import button, you can no longer access the Error Reasons, Records, etc. in the Check Your Data section. Clicking the Cancel Import button does not update Import Thresholds.
6. Repeat the following steps:
- For manual imports: Upload DyKnow SIS Data Import Files to FTP Folder
- For automated imports: Mange PowerSchool Integration or Manage Skyward Integration
APPROVE PAUSED DYKNOW SIS DATA IMPORTS
If you did expect the changes in your data import to exceed Import Thresholds, you must approve your data import for processing into Dyknow. Processing data imports that exceed Import Thresholds may have a negative impact on Teachers’ classrooms (e.g. mis-assigned students and classes). However, you can import data files regardless of any identified additions, updates, and deletions.
Follow the steps below to approve a paused data import for processing in Dyknow.
1. Click the Import Data button.
Note: Import Thresholds can fluctuate based on the error percentage you allow for processing. If you choose to process SIS Data Imports with errors exceeding Import Thresholds, the associated Import Thresholds for those values will increase.
2. During summer and back to school seasons, you may also be asked to Select Academic Year. If so, click the appropriate button from the Select Academic Year pop-up window.
3. Once your data import has completed processing, you will receive an Import Results confirmation email.
Article is closed for comments.