As schools roll out 1:1 devices and allow students to take school-owned devices off-site, the ability to track the device location becomes an important aspect of device security for schools. This device tracking facility can be enabled at the discretion of the school admin.
To enable geolocation tracking
- Log in to your Securly account
- Navigate to Policy Editor > Global Settings
- Check the ‘Require geolocation tracking’ checkbox
Once you enable this feature, students would be required to allow location tracking on their individual browsers. If the student does not allow this, he will encounter a blocked page whenever he attempts to access any website.
Whenever a student logs in to his device, the device will be displayed on the map on the admin’s dashboard.
If location is turned off you will see this in your dashboard.
If you are a Chromebook user you can also force geolocation tracking for all your Chromebooks via G Suite. This would eliminate the need for students to accept location tracking as mentioned earlier in this article.
To force geolocation via G Suite:
1. Login to your G Suite account
2. Navigate to Device Management > Chrome Management > User Settings > Geolocation
3. Select 'Allow sites to detect users' geolocation' from the drop-down