As schools roll out 1:1 devices and allow students to take school-owned devices off-site, the ability to track the device's location becomes an important aspect of device security for schools. This device tracking facility can be enabled at the discretion of the school admin.
To enable geolocation tracking
- Log in to your Securly account
- Navigate to the Policy Editor > Global Settings
- Toggle the switch to Enable "Force device tracking".
Nucleus UI view
Older UI view
Once you enable this feature, students will be required to allow location tracking on their individual browsers. If the student does not allow this, he will encounter a blocked page whenever he attempts to access any website.
Whenever a student logs in to his device, the device will be displayed on the map on the admin dashboard.
Once the location is turned off, you will see this on your dashboard.
If you are a Chromebook user, you can also force geolocation tracking for all your Chromebooks via G Suite. This would eliminate the need for students to accept location tracking as mentioned earlier in this article.
To force geolocation via G Suite:
1. Log in to your G Suite account
2. Navigates to Device Management > Chrome Management > User Settings > Security > Geolocation
3. Select "Allow sites to detect user geolocation" from the drop-down