You may want to give your school guests – parents, visiting teachers, visiting students, etc. – Limited access to the school’s internet. But guest network access would need to be governed by the school’s web filtering policies and block access to inappropriate content and malicious websites.
Securly has set up a separate set of DNS servers that only handle Guest Network traffic so directing traffic to those DNS servers via an SSID or VLAN is the easiest way to get your Guest Network up and running.
Requirement - The Guest Network DNS Servers only respond to registered IP addresses so you need to make sure what ever external IP address that traffic will come to Securly via is registered to your account.
To set up a Guest Network Policy:
- To enable the Guest Network Policy, navigate to Policy Editor and create a new Custom Policy. Select the 'This is a Guest Network Policy' option.
2. Once the Policy is created, there will be a tab called IPs. This tab will list the DNS Server IPs that you would use for DNS on your Guest Network. Most customers set SSID or DHCP scopes that had out those DNS Server IPs directly. Any device receiving those DNS servers will get your Securly Filter Guest Network Policy.
How it works
- Guest Network Policy does not require any certs to be deployed for web filtering to work for guests. All traffic will be filtered and blocked according to the Guest Network Policy and Global Allow/Block list.
- Under the Reports tab, the Guest Network Policy will only log in and display the blocked content that a user attempted to visit.
- You can whitelist and blacklist websites for the Guest Network Policy as and when required. However, wildcards are not supported.
- YouTube Restricted Mode is enabled for all guest users
- .Guest Network Policy defaults to a safe search for Google and Bing search engines.
Please note that the Guest Network Policy will not support:
- User-based policies
- Keyword scanning
- Yahoo search
- Forced login
- Mapping OUs
- Display of devices signed in under GNP on the geolocation map
- Restrict Google logins to personal accounts
- Image results are filtered using the Restricted Image Search for Creative Commons functionality.