Chromebooks are generally known to be immune against most malware and therefore good at protecting kids from malicious websites. However, to ensure extra security for students it is recommended that you enable for safe browsing and malicious sites settings in G Suite. As they are user-level settings, they not only protect users on Chromebooks but also on Chrome browsers when the user logs into a different device. Furthermore, malicious sites can also include Phishing or other sites that involve platform independent vulnerabilities that target the user directly – e.g. identity theft, financial theft, password theft etc.
To enable safe browsing and malicious sites protection:
- Log in to your G Suite account at admin.google.com
- Navigate to Device Management > Chrome Management > User Settings
- Scroll down to the Security options.
- Select the ‘Always enable Safe browsing’ option from the dropdown list for the Safe Browsing field.
- Select the ‘Prevent user from proceeding anyway to malicious sites’ option from the dropdown for the Malicious Sites field.