The YouTube Restricted Mode helps you limit students’ access to inappropriate content on YouTube. Setting up the YouTube restricted mode will give you greater flexibility with the administration of videos and channels. You can allow specific videos for specific groups of students to suit their educational requirements.
Note that it is necessary to enable YouTube Restricted Mode from G Suite so that students get it when they sign in using their school credentials.
To do this:
- Log in to your G Suite Admin Console at https://admin.google.com
- Navigate to Apps > Additional Google services
- Scroll down to YouTube. Note that YouTube service needs to be enabled for these features to work. This is a per OU setting.
- Click on Permissions and select the OU you would like to change permissions for. This is set at each OU or inherited.
- Set the level of permission for this OU.
- Strict Restricted YouTube access—Enabled by default only when you choose the option “restrict content for logged-in users in your organization”.
- Moderate Restricted YouTube access—Users can only watch restricted and approved videos. This offering is similar to the Restricted Mode setting in the YouTube app and offers a larger corpus of videos than the Strict offering.
- Unrestricted YouTube access—Users can browse all of YouTube when signed-in even if you have also set network-level restrictions.
- Can approve videos—You can designate individuals or organizational units to approve videos so that signed-in users in their organization can watch them.
- Click Save. This may take up to 24 hours to change.
- After you are done with setting permission levels on all OUs, click Content Settings.
- "Signed in users in your organization can only watch restricted and approved videos" needs to be checked to enable approval or restrictions from these settings.
Securly also allows you to setup YouTube restrictions for your users on all types of devices. To learn how, click here.