There may be times when it's useful for troubleshooting to send a log file from Chromebooks to support. Here's how:
Part 1 - Make sure that Developer Tools can be enabled on Chromebooks
In Google Admin, Device management > Chrome Management > User & Browser Settings
Choose the OU on the left for the user accounts where developer tools will be enabled.
Look for Developer Tools in the User experience section
Change the setting to "Always allow use of built-in developer tools" and Save
Note that this does NOT mean that you are enabling students to boot Chromebooks into developer mode.
Part 2: Enable developer mode on the Chromebook
On the Chromebook:
- Chrome -> More Tools -> Extensions.
- Activate Developer mode using the switch in the upper right corner.
Part 3: Grab the log
Perform this step shortly after the problem you are troubleshooting occurs. Usually this will mean doing it during class, right after the problem occurs. It's helpful to try to recreate the problem early after the initial login and class session so that the log file is shorter and more narrow to the time frame of the problem.
- Menu > More Tools > Extensions
- Look for the TechPilot extension and click the link "background page" (Note: later this will be re-branded and no longer reflect the TechPilot name).
- A window will open with menu along the top. Choose "Console" (2nd item)
- Click the 3-dot menu at the top right and choose Settings. Scroll down to the Console section and enable the setting "show timestamps." Click the small X to close (not the top larger one) and return to the console window.
Part 4: Send the log
Copy of everything from the Console. Click any entry in the log, then use CTRL+A to select the entire log. It will highlight.
When using CTRL+A it won't look like it grabbed the timestamps, but when you paste into an email, you'll see them.
Open Gmail on the device. Compose an email message to yourself (it will come from the student ID on the Chromebook). You can then forward that email to us: firstname.lastname@example.org. When sending, please enter info above the log to let us know the Class Name, Student Name, Device ID and a brief description of your case so we know where to match it up.