The Securly Chrome extension is one of the easiest and fastest ways to get started with Chromebook filtering (and it is free!).
If you already use Securly for web filtering at your school and want to install the Chrome extension on your Chromebooks, you can do so within 5 minutes by logging into your Google admin console.
Note: Before starting the installation process, ensure that your school domain/subdomains are registered with Securly.
- Login to admin.google.com
- Navigate to Device Management > Chrome Management > User Settings
- Select an OU for which you want to install the extension and scroll to ‘Apps and Extensions’.
- Select ‘Manage force-installed apps’ in front of the ‘Force-installed Apps and Extensions’ field.
- A pop-up will be launched. Select ‘Specify a Custom App’
- Input the ID and URL with the details below and click ‘Add’. The Securly Chrome extension will be displayed in the right-hand column. Click ‘Save’. (Note: the extension ID was updated 14 Aug 2019)
Scroll down to the ‘Block Extensions by Permission’ field and select ‘If the extension uses one of the selected permissions, block users from installing or using it’ option from the dropdown. Make sure that the checkboxes for ‘Escape Geolocation’, Web Requests’, and ‘Set Proxy’ are unchecked. This will allow the Securly Chrome Extension to load seamlessly.
- Click ‘Save’ again to complete the process.
This process will push the Securly Chrome extension on all the Chromebooks belonging to the OU selected.
You can check out the installation video here. It is also accessible by clicking ‘Help’ in your Securly admin account and check out our Best Practices for Chromebook document attached to this article.