Problem: You need to allow a video when in restricted mode and/or have questions about YouTube Restricted Mode.
Setting up YouTube restricted mode for your network will allow great flexibility with the administration of videos and channels.
Technical Details: YouTube has deprecated YouTube for EDU as well as YouTube Safety Mode and is forcing everyone over to YouTube Restricted Mode.
G-Suite Best Practices for 1-1 Roll Outs + YouTube Restricted Mode Webinar
Securly YouTube Enforcement
- Login to Securly UI at https://www.securly.com
- View any filtering policy. Under the Search and Keyword Scanning section, there is a checkbox for Youtube Restricted Mode. Checking this will do a network enforcement of YouTube Restricted mode.
These settings are superseded by the YouTube App or user settings for the user below. When the user is logged into a school account.
Restricted Mode for YouTube User Setting
- Go to Device Management > Chrome Management > User Settings
- Select the top level or an OU on the left side.
- Under Content> Safe Search and Restricted Mode > Restricted Mode for YouTube
- Select "No policy set"
- Other settings can conflict with the network or YouTube App settings explained below.
YouTube App Settings
- Login to Google G Suite Admin Console at https://admin.google.com
- Click on Apps
- Click on Additional Google services.
- Near the bottom of the list click on YouTube.
- YouTube service need to been enabled for these features to work. This is a per OU setting.
- Click on Permissions.
- Click to select the OU you would like to change permission. This is set at each OU or inherited.
- Set the level of permission for this OU.
- The settings explained:
- Strict Restricted YouTube access—Enabled by default only when you choose the option “restrict content for logged-in users in your organization”.
- Moderate Restricted YouTube access—Users can only watch restricted and approved videos. This offering is similar to the Restricted Mode setting in the YouTube app and offers a larger corpus of videos than the Strict offering.
- Unrestricted YouTube access—Users can browse all of YouTube when signed-in even if you’ve also set network-level restrictions.
- Can approve videos—You can designate individuals or organizational units to approve videos so that signed-in users in their organization can watch them.
- Click save. This may take up to 24 hours to change.
- After you are done with setting permission level on all OUs, click on Content settings.
- "Signed in users in your organization can only watch restricted and approved videos" needs to be checked to enable approval or restrictions from these settings.
- To view all approvals by going to this link https://admin.google.com/ytapprovals/whitelist
- The link will bring you to this page that you can review approved videos and channels.
- You can click on the entries to view the video or channel, email approver, or delete the entry.
- Back under Content settings, there is a section for special approvers. You can add Verified Google Classroom teachers can approve videos.
- Set up of YouTube Restricted is done.
- Visit YouTube. https://www.youtube.com
- Click sign in on the top right if you are not already signed into a YouTube account.
- Make sure that you are signed into a school YouTube account. Click on the icon in the top right to verify. YouTube channel accounts currently can not approve videos or use app permissions.
- When you visit any site you will have a blue bar stating the status of the video. This video can be approved for your organization. It will then be allowed for all user signed into an organization YouTube account to view video.
- If the video was already approved you will see the remove button. Anyone can click this to also remove the video from approval.
- Some videos are allowed by YouTube automatically.
- You can also approve a whole channel. This will allow you to approve school channels or curriculum sites.
- If you are not signed into YouTube you will get the network level enforcement by your Securly Policy. Logging into YouTube will allow more permission.
- Searching will be limited and give this notification "Some results have been removed because Restricted Mode is enabled."