Considering the convenience of an App over the use of PAC files for efficient filtering, Securly provides an iOS filtering App for all Apple devices. (Please note that at this time we only support iOS 10.) Previously, Securly web filtering for Apple devices was done via PAC files installed by schools using their MDM software. Any modifications to these PAC files to accommodate policy changes for filtering required assistance from the Securly support staff. This was an inconvenience for some schools. With the iOS app, PAC files are no longer required except for four social media sites (we plan to go PAC free with subsequent releases).
If you already use Securly Filtering for iPads, please update your PAC file path to the newer one. The new PAC file takes care of the exceptions which are not handled by the app. This will also ensure that any custom settings in your profile are not lost. Please connect with your MDM support for assistance.
Once this is done you are ready to begin the installation process. New users can directly start with the installation steps below.
To install the Filter by Securly you would need to the Casper/JAMF MDM software. The installation process involves two primary steps:
- Mobile App Installation
- Profile Configuration
Mobile App Installation
- Navigate to ‘Mobile Device Apps’ in your Casper/JAMF MDM.
- Click ‘New’ and then select ‘In-house App’.
- Under the ‘General’ tab input a ‘Display Name’ as ‘Securly’.
- Select your Operating System as ‘iOS’.
- From the drop-down select ‘Configuration profile: Network’ as your Category.
- The Version number should be 1.0.0
- In the Bundle Identifier field input ‘com.securly.SecurlyFilter‘. Note: It is essential that you input the identifier exactly as provided here with the exact text casing to avoid errors.
- The Distribution Method should be ‘Install Automatically/ Prompt Users to Install’.
- You would need to upload a .ipa file in the ‘Archived App File’ field. The .ipa file would be emailed to you separately. If you do not have one, please contact our sales engineer.
- Once the file is uploaded, navigate to the ‘Scope’ tab and click ‘+’ to add new devices.
- A list of devices will be displayed to you. ‘Add’ the devices that you want to push out the Securly filtering app to.
- Click ‘Save’.
- Navigate to ‘Configuration Profiles’ in your Casper/JAMF MDM.
- Click ‘New’ and then provide the display name as ‘Securly’.
- Choose the ‘Distribution Method’ from the drop-down as ‘Install Automatically’.
- Navigate to ‘Restrictions’ in the left-hand menu and click ‘Configure’.
- Uncheck the checkbox for ‘Allow removing apps (supervised only)’ to ensure that students are not able to disable and bypass filtering on their devices.
- Navigate to ‘Certificates’ in the left-hand menu and click ‘Configure’.
- Input the ‘Certificate Name’ as ‘Securly’.
- Select ‘Upload’ from the drop-down for ‘Select Certificate Option’.
- Click ‘upload Certificate’ to start the certificate upload process. The certificate is attached at the end of this page.
- Navigate to ‘Global HTTP Proxy’ in the left-hand menu and click ‘Configure’.
- Select the ‘Proxy Type’ as ‘Automatic’.
- Input your proxy PAC URL under the ‘Proxy PAC URL’ field. If you do not have this URL, please contact your Securly sales engineer.
- Navigate to ‘Content Filter’ in the left-hand menu and click ‘Configure’.
- From the dropdown select ‘Plug-in’ as your ‘Filter Type’.
- Provide a ‘Filter Name’.
- In the ‘Identifier’ field input ‘com.securly.SecurlyFilter’.
- Navigate to the ‘Scope’ tab and ‘Add’ the appropriate device that you want to assign the profile to.
Ensure that you follow these steps in the chronological order specified above for a successful installation process.