Considering the convenience of an App over the use of PAC files for efficient filtering, Securly provides an iOS filtering App for all Apple devices. Previously, Securly web filtering for Apple devices was done via PAC files installed by schools using their MDM software. Any modifications to these PAC files to accommodate policy changes for filtering, required assistance from the Securly support staff. This was an inconvenience for some schools. With the iOS app, PAC files are no longer required except for eight sites (we plan to go PAC free with subsequent releases).
If you already use Securly Filtering for iPads, please update your PAC file path to the newer one. The new PAC file takes care of the exceptions which are not handled by the app. This will also ensure that any custom settings in your profile are not lost. Please connect with your MDM support for assistance.
Once this is done you are ready to begin the installation process. New users can directly start with the installation steps below.
To install the Filter by Securly app you would need an MDM software. The installation process involves two primary steps:
- Mobile App Installation
- Profile Configuration
Mobile App Installation
- Navigate to ‘Mobile Device Apps’ in your MDM software*.
- Click ‘New’ and then select ‘App Store App or VPP store app’.
- Search for ‘Filter Securly’.
- In the results that follow, click ‘Add’ for Filter by Securly.
- The Version number should be 1.1.0
- In the Bundle Identifier field would be ‘com.securly.SecurlyFilter‘. The Distribution Method should be ‘Install Automatically/ Prompt Users to Install’.
- Click ‘Save’.
Note: You may want to leverage VPP to push out the Filter By Securly app without prompting for iTunes passwords.
*JAMF MDM is used in the video here.
- Navigate to ‘Configuration Profiles’ in your Casper/JAMF MDM.
- Click ‘New’ and then provide the display name as ‘Securly’.
- Choose the ‘Distribution Method’ from the drop-down as ‘Install Automatically’.
- Navigate to ‘Restrictions’ in the left-hand menu and click ‘Configure’.
- Uncheck the checkbox for ‘Allow removing apps (supervised only)’ to ensure that students are not able to disable and bypass filtering on their devices.
- Navigate to ‘Certificates’ in the left-hand menu and click ‘Configure’.
- Input the ‘Certificate Name’ as ‘Securly’.
- Select ‘Upload’ from the drop-down for ‘Select Certificate Option’.
- Click ‘upload Certificate’ to start the certificate upload process. The certificate is attached at the end of this page.
- Navigate to ‘Global HTTP Proxy’ in the left-hand menu and click ‘Configure’.
- Select the ‘Proxy Type’ as ‘Automatic’.
- Input your proxy PAC URL under the ‘Proxy PAC URL’ field. If you do not have this URL, please contact your Securly sales engineer.
- Navigate to ‘Content Filter’ in the left-hand menu and click ‘Configure’.
- From the drop-down select ‘Plug-in’ as your ‘Filter Type’.
- Provide a ‘Filter Name’.
- In the ‘Identifier’ field input ‘com.securly.SecurlyFilter’.
- At the bottom, please ensure the "Filter WebKit Traffic" checkbox is checked.
- Navigate to the ‘Scope’ tab and ‘Add’ the appropriate device that you want to assign the profile to.
- Ensure you have saved the profile configuration.
Note: Ensure that you follow these steps in the order specified above for a successful installation process.